Monday, March 7, 2011

Dungeons are the floors; Dragons are the ceilings

Dear readers,


When I was a kid, things that are surreal fascinates me. I was addicted to Sword and Sorcery when I laid my hands on my first game book, then the addiction went on to Sword and Sorcery themed novels. When computers were introduced into my life, it went on to Dungeons & Dragons themed games, or any form or Role Playing Games (RPGs) that I can find on the PC.


Addiction never felt better.


I was sometimes a warrior, most of the time a rogue, and very rarely, a mage. I enjoyed placing myself in the shoes of a different character. Having able to perform amazing feats (in my mind) to an awesome extent keeps that smile across my cheeks. The turning points of my gaming life starts from the Lone Wolf series, to the Sword and Sorcery themed novels. I cannot remember the title of the books, but I remember a certain story about a God in the form of a little girl, then a guy and his lovely companion that is a queen, and also another story about a bastard his royal family.





Then from the novels, it evolved to PC RPGs. The one with the most impact is Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, and the amazing expansion, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. It brought me to the light of Dungeons and Dragons, even if my experience with Pen and Paper RPGs are only limited to Joe Dever's Lone Wolf series. I would love to elaborate a little more on the games that I have played, but I will save them for future blogs, where I will talk about them with more details.





What I am about to elaborate in slightly more detail here is the fact that Dragon Age 2 is officially launching tomorrow night, and I'm exhilarated to have pre-purchased it. RPGs have an evolution of its own, and I'm proud to say that I enjoyed every bit of RPG goodness that came along with it. With the very brief summary of my RPG addiction evolution explained in words, I hope that you enjoy the little trailer of Dragon Age 2 I "borrowed" from YouTube. I'll be waiting for the time to come where I can become a different character with some dragon slaying capabilities (in my head again). Blogging about it should come naturally, but probably only after I enjoyed every ooze of RPG awesomeness that I can get from the game that the amazing people from BioWare has developed.



See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment